Tuesday 2 December 2014

“Art in Conflict: Syria" in London


For me, I feel Syria is very very far away country.
Language, food, fashion, religion and society...I can't imagine what is like. It might be completely different culture from Japan, Politically I don't really understand what is going on there.

However while I was doing my internship in Japan for UNHCR this summer, I've got a chance to know a little bit about the situation in syria by translating articles into Japanese, editing the movie of refugee camp and writing for web. I was quite surprised to know that so many people(more than 3milion people) are in danger. I’ve seen some news on TV, but It wasn’t in the “Top”news in Japan(I’m not sure about now).  And the most surprising truth I found was that the many of refugees were spending similar life like us before. Although they have a different culture and different lifestyle, they used to work in the office, they used to go to school, they used to go shopping and laugh with their friends&family...like us. I didn't notice this until I tried to understand this issue.
 
What a coincidence, I become a friend who is involved in supporting Syrian refugees in London by chance. Tonight, he invited me to the event is called “Art in Conflict: Syria" fundraising event for Syrian refugee. It was organized by “Art in Conflict”(new initiative) and the money goes to the organization is called “Hand in Hand”(according to my friends it’s the biggest supporting organization for Syria in UK), and it was held in The Frontline Club at paddington. There were presentation by Syrian artists and VICE news uk. We saw some pictures and filming. Especially I enjoyed the talk of Esam Hamzeh. She told us about the village is called “Ma'loura"in Syria which used to be very beautiful and peaceful place. Unfortunately, it was destroyed. But by seeing her painting, I could imagine how peaceful the place were and how people liked the place.
I was in front of computer when I was writing a short article about Syrian refugee in Japan. but now, I can imagine much more realistic by seeing their art works. I thought it was amazing idea that the person who organized this event actually used “Art” for telling people what’s really going on in Syria.

On my way to home, I forgot to get off the bus and I had to get off at somewhere I don't know. So, I've got time to think and walk.

If you think about other issues, there are so many people who need help, you can’t really make a list of ranking who need help the most. It's impossible for me.
so, I'm thinking that perhaps you can just start from the area you're particular interested in or the issue you've got to know by chance.
It doesn't mean if you help A, you have to help B, C or you have to keep helping A forever. when you want, you do. That will still help someone, I guess.


※you can see some of the works of today’s artist at Victoria&Albert Museum:)
■"Disobedient Object" 26 July 2014-1 February 2015
■Article:"Culture in Defiance: Syria Speaks"

No comments:

Post a Comment